Lemon & Lime Layer Cake
- Prep Time 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time 30 minutes
- Servings 8 to 10 servings
- 1 cup or 2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 2 1/2 cups of self-raising flour spooned and leveled, plus more for pans
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of low-fat buttermilk
- 7-8 cups of icing sugar
- 2 limes juiced
- 6 tablespoons of lime zest
- 1 cup of butter softened to room temperature
- 8-10 tablespoons of milk
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
Lightly spray with baking oil and flour two 8 inch cake pans. Make sure to tap out the excess flour. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Mix in lemon juice. Alternate adding in flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour. Mix until well combined.
Pour ½ of the batter into one pan and add the remaining to the second pan. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
Once cakes are completely cooked, remove from the oven and cool. Allow the pans to cool for 10 minutes on a cake rack, then remove cakes from the pans and place back on cake rack, allowing them to completely cool.
While the cakes are cooling, make the lime buttercream. In a large bowl, cream together the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Gradually mix in the milk, lime zest and juice with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Colour with food coloring if desired.
*2 Layer Cake -* Evenly spread the filling on top of the bottom layer, then add the second cake on top.
Grate some lime peel onto the top for garnish.
Show us what you can create; snap it and share it using #MontpellierCreations.