Beat ‘Blue Monday’
With today being renamed ‘Blue Monday’ on account of it being the most depressing day of the year, we explore how much of an impact healthy eating can have on your feeling of mental wellbeing.
It will come as no surprise to hear that what we eat can have a big impact on how we feel, mentally as well as physically. After a hectic week, with too much fast food and hastily consumed coffee, or a couple of nights on the make-mine-a-double-and-a-doner diet, we may well feel what we’ve put into our bodies punishing our mind and mood.
Two recent reports have hit headlines with the claim that a Mediterranean diet could protect against depression. With significantly fewer cases of depression in Mediterranean countries, researchers now think it may be the healthy diet, rich in fresh vegetables, whole grains and olive oil, that helps maintain mental health.
So here at Montpellier we’ve come up with the perfect remedy for Blue Monday. This lunchtime, why not try our Avocado, Prosciutto and egg sandwich, jam packed with nutrients and ingredients proven to boost energy levels and mental well being.
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of prepared wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 4 ounces of very thinly sliced proscuitto
- 1 avocado halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced
- 1 cup of sunflower seed sprouts,* alfalfa sprouts,* or packaged baby salad greens
- 8 slices of hearty whole grain bread, toasted
- For poached eggs, fill a large skillet with water to a depth of 1/2 inch. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to simmering. Break an egg into a cup and slip the egg into the simmering water. Repeat with the remaining eggs, allowing each egg an equal amount of space in the water-vinegar mixture. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Using the edge of a metal spatula, separate the eggs. Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs; set eggs aside. Discard liquid and dry skillet; set skillet aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, wasabi paste, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In the same skillet cook the prosciutto over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove prosciutto from skillet.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer avocado, prosciutto, poached eggs, and sprouts on four of the toasted bread slices. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture on one side of each of the remaining four bread slices; add to sandwiches, mayonnaise sides down.