Looking for some simple but tasty Halloween treat ideas?
Why not take a classic gingerbread man and turn him into a mummy using piped icing. They only take 45 minutes and the mixture can make 30, making them perfect for a party.
350g Plain Flour
1tspn Bicarbonate of Soda
2tspn Ground Ginger
175g Soft Light Brown Sugar
3tbsp Golden Syrup
1 Medium Egg
400g Icing Sugar
- The first step is to sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl. Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar.
- Warm the golden syrup gently in a glass bowl in the microwave for approximately 15 seconds. Adding the egg whisk the two together and pour into the flower mixture. Using a wooden spoon mix it all together until clumps form, you should then use your hands to get a smooth dough.
- Dust the work surface with a little flour and begin to roll out the dough. It should be about the thickness of a £1 coins. Using your biscuit cutters, cut out the shapes and place them on a baking tray that is lined with grease proof paper. Keep re rolling the trimmings to use up all the dough.
- The oven should be heated to 190oC, gas 5. The biscuits will need 10-15 mins to bake. Let them cool slightly on the baking tray then transfer them to a wire rack to cool further and harden.
- For the decoration mix the icing sugar with 3-4tbsp water and pipe this over the biscuits creating the bandages of the mummy. For scary eyes add the smarties.